Friday, April 04, 2008

36 hours in.

I know that most of you probably don't want (or need) an hour by hour account of the potty progress for Sam and Maggie, but it's good therapy for this mama....so hang in there while I vent. :-)

SO, our initial thought and assessment was that Maggie would be 'easy' and Sam would be simply tagging along and wetting his pants along the way. As it turns out, SAM IS DOING AWESOME and Maggie is a wee bit more stubborn (imagine that!) and slow to catch on....or something.

Official success percentages thus far:

Thursday - - Sam:68% in the toilet Maggie: 35% in the toilet
Friday AM - - Sam: 77% in the toilet Maggie: 46% in the toilet

I so DON'T want to potty train them and yet so DON'T want to quit that I need these numbers to keep myself going for the afternoon and into the next day. Every ounce of my body wants to throw in the towel any given moment of the day, so I'll keep my tallies and try to keep myself going. They've got to officially get out of diapers someday....right?

The part that makes me so happy was that Sam stayed dry during his nap yesterday AND all of last night too. I am sure it's just a fluke, but it made Mommy and Daddy very happy (almost as happy as Mommy's reward for making it the first 24 hours, hot bath and Jamba Juice, did last night).

A silly conversation with a silly girl when she was refusing to go pee...(yes, she DID have to go):
Mommy: Maggie, why aren't you going pee? Don't you want a gummy bear?
Maggie: No.
Mommy: You DON'T?!
Maggie: No, I want ice.
Mommy: Okay, I'll get you some ice. You go pee. (she immediately did her business and received her ice- what a goof.)

7 comments:

Pam said...

Looks like you are just going to have one in diapers, instead of three. Joshua is still at the "sitting on the potty with no action" phase. He loves to watch Elmo talk about it, though.

Andie said...

go leah go! it would be awesome if the older ones are trained before new baby comes! i'm really hoping that ruth becomes self-motivated sometime over the summer :) she and mags are pretty similar. ruth doesn't like to try the potty because she never stops moving. unfortunately, it seems that sitting down for more than 60 seconds cramps her style.

Kate said...

You can do it, you can do it, GO LEAH!
It really is potty TRAINING! It's another way to 'train up your child' ... happy training :)

Unknown said...

Good Luck. Theron is fully "trained" and yet he refuses to use the potty. He likes to hide and do his business in his underpants, and then ask to be changed. I'm jealous that yours can still be bribed.

Jenne said...

I echo the Parker's comment! You can do it, and it really is a "training!"

Day 3 is the hardest, in my experiences, so don't be discouraged if you encounter a tough day. Push through!

My method? Keep it as upbeat and positive as possible, but discipline if you see defiance (and pray for the wisdom to recognize it!!).

Abby Barrantes said...

Hey Leah! I loved the comment about ice. Isn't it funny how kids Love that! Isaiah asks for it all the time. If that's what helps her to get on the potty, whatever! :) Good to see how you are doing.
Abby (Hyder) Barrantes

redheadedmama said...

You go girl....we had around 2 weeks of days that were hit and miss (literally) and then just when I was thinking of throwing in the towel, the light bulb went on in Isaac's head, and he has done fairly well since. He still has accidents about 50% of the time during nap (if he wakes up and I am not there to immediatly get him to the restroom) and we are wearing pull ups at night....my guy is just not a morning person, and would rather pee in his bed then get up and go. That is another battle for later. Incidently it only took one pee at Target, and having to walk around in wet pants for him to not tell me in a store that he has to go. Though I am the queen of leaving my half filled cart outside the bathroom of Gresham fred meyers while trying to keep squirmy matthew off the floor and help hold Isaac on the toilet. It is quite a sight I am sure.