Thursday, May 13, 2010

Yum Yummy Yummers SCONES!

We had breakfast for dinner last night, so in effort to make it seems more "dinnerish" for my husband I threw together some scones yesterday afternoon.  I haven't made scones in a long time, I think we all missed them.  These are SUPER good ones, folks!  Don't skimp on the almond extract, it's worth getting it if you don't have it already and it makes your baked goods taste like you own a bakery!!  Here's the recipe I used:

Cherry Scones
3/4 cup dried cherries (I used cranberries)
1 cup boiling water
3 cups flour
3 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cream of tartar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, separated
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 t almond extract

Soak cherries in boiling water for 10 minutes, drain WELL.
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar in a large bowl.  Cut in butter.
Combine egg yolk, sour cream, half and half, and almond extract and add to flour mixture.  Stir until soft dough forms.
Turn out onto floured surface and knead gently 6-8 times.  Kneed in cherries.  Divide dough in half.  Pat each ball into a 6 inch circle and cut into 6 wedges with a sharp knife.  Place scones on lightly greased baking sheet.

Beat egg white until foamy and brush over scones.  Sprinkle generously with added sugar.
Bake at 400 for 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

Wilson Family said...

I'm a huge scones fan!! I'll have to give your recipe a try sometime!

Faith said...

YUM! I was just telling Megan that I need to try making homemade scones. Sound yummy:) Thanks